Home » Rules and Advice for Holding a Street Party for King’s Coronation
Culture Europe European Union News

Rules and Advice for Holding a Street Party for King’s Coronation

Everything you need to know if you’re hosting a street party this bank holiday weekend

Celebrations will be taking place up and down the country to mark the King’s Coronation over the upcoming bank holiday weekend. The main event will take place at Westminster Abbey in London on Saturday, when King Charles III will be crowned alongside Camilla, the Queen Consort.

But many Brits will be partying closer to home by hosting street parties, which have been traditionally held for coronations, jubilees and royal weddings. With a three-day weekend there’s plenty of time to come together and party with friends, family and neighbours.

How do I organise a street party?

A table set for a street party
Many communities will be hosting street parties over the bank holiday weekend (Image: Adam Vaughan)

Hosting a street party is a rather straightforward process. According to the government guidance, a street party is different to other public events which means you won’t need a licence, although you may need to make an application to your local council.

The best way to organise a street party is to work together with your neighbours and distribute tasks among residents. You can ask everyone to bring along their own food and drink, and help with decorations.

A toolkit with useful resources for hosting a street party is available on the official coronation website. It’s packed with activities for kids, recipes, invite cards and printable decorations.

Is it too late to apply for a road closure?

If a temporary road closure is required the government advises that an application is made at least six weeks in advance. However, there is no legal deadline so it’s not too late to apply for one. Some councils may lend you road closure signs and cones, or they can be available to buy or hire.

A ‘street meet’ is a good alternative if you’re unable to close a road. This can be held on private land, such as a driveway or front garden, and doesn’t require any council forms.

Are there any rules I need to follow?

A street party is classed as a small, private event, so you won’t need to buy any insurance. A licence isn’t required unless you’re planning on selling alcohol. You won’t need a food licence or lottery licence either as a street party is classed as a ‘one-off’ event.

Source: Manchestereveningnews